f you are thinking about getting contact lenses, schedule an appointment at Palmetto Eye Care in Columbia for a contact lens exam. During the exam, you will be asked about your lifestyle so our optometrist can choose the best contacts for you.
What Are 30 Day Extended Contacts?
Most contacts are worn during the day and removed while you sleep. These contacts are worn for 30 days straight, and you won't need to remove them before bed. This is great for people who lead busy lives and do not have time to fuss with inserting and removing the contacts and contact lens care.
The Benefits of 30 Day Extended Contacts
Extended wear contacts are convenient because they will remain in your eyes for 30 days. There are other benefits associated with these lenses as well.
- 30 day extended wear contacts breathe five to six times better than conventional lenses that need to be removed before you go to bed.
- These contacts feel less dry than conventional contact lenses.
- 30 day extended wear contacts provide sharp, clear vision all day and night.
Cleaning 30 Day Extended Wear Contacts
You will leave your contacts in for 30 days straight, which means that they don't need to be removed. If you remove your contacts to go swimming or for any other reason, you will need to clean them thoroughly before putting them back in your eyes.
There are some common side effects caused by these lenses, such as lid irritation, discomfort, mild burning or stinging, and dryness of the eye. Infiltrative keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea, and it is a potential side effect of these lenses.
Poor Candidates For Extended Wear Contacts
Extended wear contacts are great for busy people; however, some people would be poor candidates for these lenses. They are not recommended for people with the following conditions:
- History of frequent eye infections or inflammation.
- Allergic to any of the materials in the contacts.
- Taking medication that can interact with the contacts.
- Having a disease of the eye.
- A history of dry eye syndrome.
- Has experienced an eye injury.
Contact Our Optometrist in Columbia, SC
If you want to get contact lenses and think that 30 day extended wear contacts are right for you, schedule an appointment at Palmetto Eye Care in Columbia. Our doctor of optometry will examine your eyes to determine if you are a good candidate for 30 day extended wear contacts. Call us today at (803) 681-0375 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Zuba.